View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 04:46 AM   #54
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

There's no guarantee that this chap would have fared any better if he'd used a map, but a certain scepticism towards his satnav instructions might have helped.

Quote:
'Sat-nav' jams 50ft lorry in Hertfordshire village

A 50ft (15m) lorry became wedged in a small village street after being directed there by a sat-nav, its driver said.

The village was blocked for several hours after the vehicle became stuck in Walkern High Street, Hertfordshire, on Tuesday afternoon.

Police tweeted: "Question, what is 50 feet long and unlikely to fit through the narrow streets of Walkern#satnavfail."

The lorry was removed later.

A spokesman from Manea-based haulage company D&R Hankins said the driver had been to a farm in Walkern and was on his way back to its Cambridgeshire base.

The driver's sat nav had taken him through the narrow village streets, he confirmed.

There was "minimal damage" to the lorry and a recovery vehicle was sent to "manoeuvre" it out of its predicament, he added.
I realise that it's easy to point fingers from the comfort of my chair, but take a look at the blue sign on the pub wall.

There will have been a corresponding sign at the other end of the lane but he let the satnav take precedence over what he could see for himself.
I post this not to ridicule the poor chap, but out of puzzlement as to why he let it happen.

BBC

Daily Mail There's a good selection of photos, even if the text is somewhat over excited.

Street View