View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #10
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

I had a bat as a pet, once....brieflly. It was a baby fruit bat that I saved from, yes, a cat attack. I fed the little critter and made sure he was ok, then put him in an old-fashioned birdcage outside. He decided he felt better, squoze (yeah, I know "squeezed" is the past-tense of squeeze, but I've been using squoze forever....it just sounds better) through the bars, and flew away.

Of course, I was only about seven or eight at the time. I had no idea that bats can carry rabies, sometimes without being affected (so I've read, I could be wrong--and I don't think fruit bats carry rabies...only carnivores can carry rabies, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong). It probably wouldn't have made a difference, considering how animal-crazy I was as a kid. It was interesting while it lasted, though.

Considering the mosquitoes in Louisiana, I'm thinking about putting up a few bat boxes in the front yard. It would be an all-you-can-eat buffet for them around here in the summer.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote