View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathris View Post
Which series, 1978, or 2004?
The latter.

The way music is used in tv is something I really geek out over. I love the way music helps tell the story or add texture to a scene. Not in terms of the obvious stuff, like adding a melancholy note to the scene or cueing us up to action (though I do like the technical aspect of building tension and horror - John Carpenter is fascinating to listen to about that) but the way music is used in a lot of tv shows as part of character building. I love the use of different themes for characters, or plot threads stuff that can be overt but also really subtle. McCreary, who composed the BSG original soundtrack is a master at it. The way he interweaves the different themes is so dynamic and a lot of it works at a subliminal level. Murray Gold is also particularly good at that interweaving of themes.

Right now I am very into Max Richter's work on the Leftovers. It has a simplicity to it that feels kind of fresh. And the soundtrack to the british show, Utopia was both a brilliant piece of music and an excellent example of music helping set the tone of the world the characters were in.

I also have a bit of thing for the way existing songs and music are used in tv. Being Human was a great example of how to use music well (both original and remake) as is Person of Interest. What's awesome about it though is that I often go off to listen to a track they've used particularly well and end up with a whole new set of artists to follow.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote