Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #272
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you!

It's all over now.

After a fifteen minute late start of a thirty minute interview.

He apologized, I accepted, we continued.

He asked me about my current gig and why I wanted this job (his advertised opening). This was an easy question and I segued from the first to the second easily. Then he asked me about my current manager, who figured in my first answer. Another easy question. This led me to believe that he was listening to me, not just reading a script of questions--a good sign I believe. Then a (stock sounding) question about how I handle(d) difficult customers. Another easy question. And a final question about what happens when my technical solutions don't work. Another easy question.

Then, the end of the interview was ... unfortunate. He said "I have three problems--no, one good thing and two problems. First, I've enjoyed talking to you. I'd like to schedule some more time to talk again. Are you available for about ten minutes today? And my battery is literally dying as I'm sitting in the parking lot of my next customer. Which is my appointment now. <pause>".

I said, "I work today until seven, so I don't think we can do it today."

He said "Can you hear me? V, helllo? Can you hear me? Hello, hello???"

aaaaand that's how the interview ended.

So I immediately called his office and left a message with his office manager outlining the circumstances of the end of our call, emphasizing that I did not hang up on him (yikes) and here's my contact info, yes, let us please reconnect sometime soon. Thanks for passing my message on to him.

So. Once again, I'm in the position of waiting for a company to call me. *sigh* I don't know what I'm doing wrong to be in this situation which I find so uncomfortable so frequently.

Anyhow, thanks for the well wishes. I think the interview went as well as it could have been expected to go, despite the unfortunate ending. I think I'll hear from him again, I think we'll eventually meet, and I think he'll offer me the job. Then I'll have a whole new basket of problems to solve, good ones.