View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #3139
glatt

I've been to that site numerous times. My uncle Joe's old airport has a big entry. No direct link to Zahn's Airport. You have to search for the name in the page.

He owned an apple orchard on Long Island not too far from NYC, and in 1936 he put in an airstrip in his orchard. It got more and more popular, and he wound up expanding the place and basically cutting down the whole orchard. He sold it in the 1950's but it kept his name. At one point, it was the busiest private airport in the US. It closed in 1980.

I've got a vague memory of visiting it as a kid. Just going to the parking lot and looking at a hangar with my uncle's name on the roof. I've got more vivid memories of visiting my aunt Emma and uncle Joe at their house on the water in Long Island. They had a big boat in a canal behind their house, and they took us out on the water for the day one time. He did well financially, turning that orchard outside NYC into an airport and selling it.

It's a shopping mall or industrial park now, but I understand there's a hunk of concrete behind one of the stores that was part of one of the old hangers.

That's my uncle on the right.
Name:  Zahns_NY_partners_53.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  64.8 KB

Last edited by glatt; 09-16-2015 at 08:29 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote