View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #160
it
Banned

One of the most interesting discussions I've ever seen were about gender essentialism between a group of hard core "gender doesn't matter" feminists and a group of trans people at various stages (Between extreme gender dysphoria to fully transitioned).

In a way it felt like a conflict between 2nd wave to 3rd wave feminism.

One group dismissing gender as irrelevant and finding gender roles and expectations to be painful and limiting to themselves, and one group finding gender as essential to who they are, so much that it's lack of expression in their sex is emotionally painful to them.

For me it was one of those grand oppertunities where I got to see people argue over the answer for a question where I don't have my own preconceived answer I think is correct, and I'll be honest, it was a close call for me. I would say that trans have marginally won by presenting supporting evidence in neural scans that demonstrate gender symptoms in the brain.

So I ask you, trans... FtM? MtF? Should I read the OP before entering these discussions? Anyway - I ask you...

How do you view this, and in particular, how do you view the gender of cispeople who don't view their gender as part of their identity? Are they - from your perspective - in denial?

Last edited by it; 09-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.
it is offline   Reply With Quote