View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #67
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

And that was me more or less done.
I cooked pork with mushrooms and creme fraiche to earn my keep. Was duly complimented. I thought it was yummy too.

Then I had to sleep from all the exertion...
Only to wake after a night of dreaming of missed connections and unpacked bags and all that and everything.

We travelled to the ferry together and I was bought breakfast as a final farewell.
I think I held it together okay. I was so distressed at the idea of coming back here again, all I wanted to do was chain myself to the car and demand to go with them to Fife.
I leaked a little at the eyes when I had my goodbye hugs, but I saved my real tears until after they'd gone.

I didn't even cry properly until I reached Keighley station. I've been there before, so I knew I was on "home" turf. Then I gave myself over to the grief. I had to cover my face with a tissue and pretend to be coughing.
But in a way a good thing happened in Leeds. At the bus station I bumped into a really, REALLY boring man, who knows me as a friend of an acquaintance. So all the way back to Otley I was just yawning into my hand and wishing he would shut his cakehole, instead of eating myself up inside.

And anyway, I got back and the toilet hadn't flooded, and my Landlord hadn't served me with an eviction notice, and the bailiffs hadn't called and my rats were alive and well with some of their food (their least favourite, but still edible) uneaten and still plenty of water. AND they hadn't decided to kick their new hideout from the top floor into the basement, which is a wonder. I have Bernard Cribbins rats in that sense.

The End.