View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #43
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Next morning, cooked breakfast!
Every day in fact, cooked breakfast!
I don't think the Limes eat this every day. And in fact they were always healthy variations. But it was wonderful to me, who can go for five days without a hot meal.

And off we went to Arran Heritage Museum.
I was staggered that we [by which I mean Limey] had to pay to get in. I am spoiled by London, Leeds and even Aylesbury, where museums are fully funded and free. It was jolly good though.

There was quite a substantial and moving section on Arran's involvement in the World Wars. I wish I could do it justice. I know there are a number of people here in the Cellar who would have been fascinated. Even as a pedestrian observer I was interested.
Name:  DSCN1622.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  DSCN1626.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  159.3 KB

Ships featured too, obviously given this is an island.
It doesn't have the smuggler/ wreck connections of a place like the Scilly Isles (where the prayer used to be something along the lines of "save the souls of those who sail, but should they wreck, let it be here") but the maritime history is still strong.
Name:  DSCN1627.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  88.8 KB
Name:  DSCN1628.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  114.2 KB

There is a Smithy, a room devoted to pre-recorded history, the Clearances, a recreation of various rooms of their time including a whole cottage (these islanders must have been teeny-tiny) and a geology exhibit.