Thread: Welfare
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #27
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Archer
[b]LadySyc - I'm throwing out some ideas, but I really don't feel that I have a good solution. I really don't think I'm well enough informed (is that syntax right? it's late, and I'm tired), to make a judgment.

That said, totally eliminating welfare should be an option. I'm not really all that keen on the idea, and there is probably a happy medium, but the idea should not be discarded at face value.

My mother is on SSDI, and without it she would not be able to afford her house (it's not much, but it is hers); she still drives a POS car (a lot of miles no less, for the paltry job she can work, ironically enough), buys her clothes at a thrift shop, and by no means eats gourmet. I would not want her to lose her welfare (I stick by my definition), but is it really right to rule out an option due to personal bias?p/b]
Right, and I knew that, I was just making a point from within the one that you made. I hope that made sense (damn neuropathy!).

I must admit, I'm not that well versed about the system as much as I should be (I know just enough for what applies to me, and what I have to do as far as getting a benefits review every year for Medicaid and every 6 months for State Chronic Renal Insurance).

And I just want clairfy that the issue of benefits isn't the *only* reason why Syc and I aren't married, but I feel that we have to take that into consideration (about how my benefits would change or not change).

And truth be told, I have no idea how the system can be changed, because by the time anyone gets around to making any major changes, IMO, it'll probably be too late for some of us.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote