View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #486
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Life is short.

You guys are my friends. You've done a lot for me. Now, I'm paying back *all* of it. Here ya go. You're welcome.

This is a recipe for ice cream. I love ice cream. I remember when I was a kid, I thought that one of the best parts of growing up was that someday, someday, I'd be able to have more than two scoops of ice cream if I wanted to. When you make this recipe, you're gonna realize my childhood dream.

Quote:
Makes 1 pint

1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters) heavy or double cream, well-chilled
2/3 cup (175 grams) sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons espresso liqueur

Whisk all the ingredients together just until the whisk leaves trails of soft peaks in the bowl, and you have a gorgeous, caffe-latte-colored airy mixture.
Fill two 500-milliliter or two 1-pint airtight containers, and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Serve straight from the freezer.
Now for some notes. the 2/3 cup of sweetened condensed milk, just give up. Make a double batch, that's 396 grams of sweetened condensed milk. That's one whole can, super easy. Put an extra splash of heavy whipping cream in there to balance it (AFTER doubling the heavy whipping cream to 2 1/2 cups in proportion to the doubled sweetened condensed milk). I've made this recipe a few times now. By adding all the ingredients together and then whipping it, you get a product that is very, very creamy, with not a lot of air in it. It's much closer to gelato in texture. I've also whipped the heavy cream first then added the other ingredients, this produces a much airier product, still delicious, just lighter in texture. Also it requires much more space in the freezer.

As for the flavoring, go crazy. I've made coffee ice cream, my favorite so far, cookies with fudge swirl, toffee and chocolate. The ice cream base of the cream/milk lends itself to practically anything. When I made the coffee one (described in the attached copied recipe) I didn't have any espresso liquor to add, so I substituted vodka. It worked just fine. I boozed up other batches too, to the tune of four ounces of clear liquor to one double batch.

What makes this a great recipe? It's delicious. It's SUPER EASY. And it's fast. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to freeze. Good luck with that. Like I said, Life is short--Dessert First.