View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thanks Sexobon for your reply, it was well thought out. I agree with some of your comments.

No they didn't charge me a rental fee but the sole reason I had asked to borrow there extra lesser used car was that I needed one that his grandmother could get into (aged 88). She, nor I have an extra $100+ to rent a car for a day just to get to 2 doctors appointments. I don't carry Comprehensive on my insurance so that is not an option to add it. I don't see how asking him if his insurance would pay for at least the second tow was out of place as he pays for that every time he sends in a check to the insurance company, there was no out of pocket expense. It would be stupid not to take advantage of something that is paid for and he had no problem with checking his policy and making the call to get the tow. I take offense at your describing me as low class and cheap. I live on a very tight budget but I am not cheap.

Yes, in the end I probably won't do less with the kiddos. I just got a Skype call from the 8 year old wanting to know if she and her sister can come over for a few days during spring break, maybe go to a movie. I said yes.

I think if I show less generosity it will be towards my step son. I feel blaming me for his water pump breaking while I used the vehicle is not fair. I can think of plenty of times I've picked up parts or supplies for a project on his house and never bothered to get reimbursed. Not because I forgot or lost the receipt but because it was a kind gesture on my part to help his family. I certainly don't feel any kindness coming from him right now.

Don't worry, I have learned my lesson. I won't be borrowing anything from him again. The funny thing is that I've loaned out tools and a few cameras in days past that malfunctioned or broke with no cause by the borrower and never asked for them to pay me for the repair. I chalked it up to a part just wearing out and was thankful that no one got injured.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote