View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #487
glatt

I worked on a house like that once for Rebuilding Together. In that instance, the outlet boxes were grounded, but for some reason, they never ran the ground to the actual outlets. I just pigtailed a short wire to the box and used that to ground the outlet. The wiring might also have a metal armor that can be used as ground, but that is a pain in the ass because making good electrical connections to the armor is pretty difficult.

If you are worried about this, and there is no ground present anywhere in the wiring, you can replace the first outlet of each circuit with a GFCI outlet and feed the downstream outlets off that protected outlet. Then the whole circuit will be GFCI protected, which meets code. There are little stickers in the GFCI package that say "no ground - GFCI protected" and you stick those on the outlets down stream so that it's clear there is no ground.

Half the outlets in my house have no ground, and I've replaced most of them with GFCI outlets.

I personally wouldn't worry about it though. Ground is a good idea, but not necessary.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote