View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Question Do you swear or curse or cuss around your offspring

Dealing with my grand kids family got me thinking about this topic recently.

I grew up in a household with 3 siblings, both parents and my father's parents. My grandparents were around from the time I was born until I was 18 and later at 24 when each of them passed away. They were British and I can only remember a couple of times hearing my grandfather loudly say "DAMN", mostly he noted displeasure with Dash It All or Bother! Never heard granny cuss.

Same with my parents, my dad probably said Damn or Dammit more than his father had. My father told me once that when he enlisted in the British Army not long after Hitler marched into Poland he spent time in basic training. Even though he at done the equivalent of ROTC he still had to fast track through basic. He told me on the first night lying in his bunk he heard the word Fuck used in ways he never had up until then and in ways that made no sense. My grandparents were pretty well off up until WWII. They weren't rich but well enough off and had servants and I think in those days it was more of a lower class thing to swear.

When my kids were little I occasionally would let out some choice words, usually after hurting myself while working on the car or the house. My exwife never used words like that, her parents were upstanding Republicans from Arcadia, an affluent suburb just outside of Los Angeles. My father in law had served as Mayor and they were very Catholic. Swearing never happened in their household or there would be a trip to the confessional at church and a lot of Rosaries said. My wife had a "cuss jar" for our kids. Some kind of jar that if the kids used a bad word they had to put some money in the jar. She got to spend the money, she never made me do it though. But she did divorce me later on...

So, do you ever curse around offspring? Just a little or a lot? Is is more of the kind I did like when you hit your thumb with a hammer while hanging a picture or is it more regular. Do you ever curse at the kids. Like. "Don't be a dipshit" or "Are you fucking kidding me?"

I did a bit of studying on it today and from what I could find on some blogs and forums it's pretty common and some "experts" say it's ok withing limits.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote