View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I think one of the eligibility requirements for being elected POTUS should be former military service.

Perhaps one wouldn't be so quick to spend lives, if their own life used to be one of those lives.
I don't agree. If anything there's the risk that they will be far more resigned to the loss of soldiers' lives as the cost of war. Every single general has to learn how to send men to fight knowing the chances are some will die. It is a fundamental part of their role. It has to be.

What I think wuld be good - and this goes for politics and leadership in the Uk also - would be a requirement to have worked in something not related to politics for at least 5 years.

Soooo many of the current generation of politicians have essentially been working in, or attached to politics, at a local or national level, their entire working lives. Speaking for the Uk - the days of conservative politicians coming up through business and industry and labour politicians coming up through trades and working organisations are long gone. They go from school to college, to university to a job in an MPs office, or working for one of the parties - they go do a year of internship in a company maybe - but mostly that's a company that will give them an in to politics.

Time was, prominent politicians on the conservative side had experience running businesses, or law firms, and prominent politicians on the labour side had worked in industry and risen up through trades unions - with a bit of crossover between the two. They had experience of how business actually works, of how the world of working people actually functions.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote