View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There are people who view the commitment as permanent, and those who don't. Of those who do, some will live together, and some won't. But of those who don't, I'd venture to say all, or near enough to it, will live together first.

Thus, living together is not a universal factor (there is no control group that is uncommitted but also choosing not to live together,) so it's a useful predictor by association, but almost certainly not an action you can take beforehand to alter the outcome.

Think about it this way. Homes with many books tend to create successful children. But that's only by association, because parents who read tend to create successful children. You can't fill a ghetto house with a bunch of unread books and magically create successful kids. And you can't keep uncommitted couples apart and magically make their marriage last.

I suppose that one individual in the couple could use it as a test for the other, as in, "I will refuse to live together, and see if he agrees to that rule in order to test his character," but again, you're only finding out who that person already is, not changing it. And in the meantime, your testing is revealing something about who you are.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote