View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #4043
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I couldn't figure out where to put this tale of woe, because I don't really like the guy it happened to, so it's not upsetting me, but it's too mean to say it's mildly amusing me... Just call it an "oh, snap!" moment.

So there's this guy at our church who has a number of health problems brought on by decades of shitty diet and lifestyle, including kidney failure. Five years ago when it all started, they told him that the average wait on the kidney donor list was 6-7 years, and the average survival time on his kind of dialysis was 5 years. So at this point he's on borrowed time.

He has seven brothers and sisters, most of whom were found to be a match, but they all declined to donate a kidney to him. Which, hey, I get. Many of them have an obligation to their own children to stay alive and not take risky surgeries, and like I said, the guy's a bit of a grump, I certainly didn't try to hand him one of my kidneys.

Except just last month, one of his other brothers was diagnosed with kidney failure, and one of his sisters immediately offered to be a donor for the guy. Which they found out right before having to spend a week with these people at a family reunion. Oh. SNAP.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote