View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #1835
glatt

Mine was a gift, so I didn't have the shock of spending that money, but it is simply awesome. I highly recommend it. I have about an hour of footage playing with it in mountain lakes and streams in Yosemite.

If you do get one, my only complaint/tip is that there is a parasitic drain on the battery that will kill the battery in about two days if you leave it in the camera, even turned off. So you need to leave it charging, or take the battery out and reset the clock when you put it back in next time you plan to use the camera.

Also if you use the camera in wifi mode and control it from your phone with the app, it's really cool, but the battery only lasts like 20 minutes doing that intensive shit. With the wifi off, the battery lasts for a few hours of continuous use. You can also buy extra batteries, which is probably what the pros do. I should do that.

And you want a 32 GB card. You'll also want to spend the $5 at monoprice for the special HDMI cable to connect it to your high definition TV. Well worth the investment. And pack that cable for your trip so you can watch the day's videos on the TV in your hostel. Don't forget the USB charger, but you probably have extra ones kicking around from old phones.

If you buy one, get it at least two weeks before you go so you can play with it and see how it works before you go on your trip. You'll find that you want to buy some accessories for mounting the thing. Lots of aftermarket stuff on ebay for cheap that will work with their proprietary mounting system.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote