View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I ain't buying it. There are plenty of places online that try to differentiate between the two, but they all give different (and conflicting) reasons. The only thing they all agree on is that Internists don't see children.

Quote:
A short list of additional experiences [for the internist] includes psychiatry, dermatology, ophthalmology, office gynecology, palliative medicine and rehabilitation medicine. Like family medicine physicians, the internist may provide care to adults as broadly or narrowly as he likes. Currently, the majority of internal medicine trained physicians go on to complete subspecialty training, though recent years have seen a small increase in residency graduates electing to stay in general internal medicine.
Psychiatry and dermatology are the opposite of internal diseases. And anyone who can follow up with a subspecialty is "general" enough for me. Your ENT does not have a subspecialty in dermatology, because being an ENT is already a specialty. I maintain that whatever the technical definition is or used to be, being an internist is a specialization without a practical meaning.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote