Thread: Cupcakes
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #123
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
The ingredients will cost about $100. The rest is labour and set up which i have allowed a whole work day for. Its not a huge profit, but i am not a trained professional either. Down the track when my reputation preceeds me, i will be able to ask top dollar.
Sounds great!

I sometimes visit a construction website and the people there will sometimes talk about what to charge for a job. And the one thing I take away from that, is that to be a successful business that makes a modest profit, you have to charge a staggering amount. You have to be willing to not take jobs that won't pay that amount. You need to consider materials, and the wage you pay yourself, and the overhead (which is a very real and significant cost) and then tack a modest profit for the business on top of that. The guys who had been working for other contractors are always amazed when they see the math broken down for them, because they are used to looking at it in terms of what they make per hour working for someone else, and it never sunk in to them that you have to cover all these other expenses.

I know you aren't at that business point yet and are just easing your way in to this, so none of this applies to you now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote