View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #27
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Along bipartisan lines, most American don't trust Putin and don't like the guy, but also don't want the US to get involved in this Crimean issue.
First, this is a regional issue no different than Rwanda and Burundi, the Balkans, Syria, and Somolia. Merkel (who demonstrates leadership abilities) is even saying this. America's job is to backup its NATO allies who must be fully involved here - nothing else matters. Obama has been doing that. But you would never know this from the press ... especially due to pathetic responses from Italy, Britian, France, and other European leaders.

Crimea is gone. Time to avert this was long ago. Nobody is (should be) discussing that. Discussion should be about the response so that Ukraine is not invaded. So that another Georgia does not happen.

Second, the current response says no consequences exist when (if) Russia invades Ukraine. That should have everyones attentaion especially if distracted by something trivial like a missing airplane.

So what happens if Belarus or Russia invaded Ukranine using the same rationalization used by Hilter in Czechoslavakia? Ukraine is not a NATO country. It has no military alliances. And yet all of the EU and NATO must have a reaction clearly planned long before that happens. It is called Chess. To pretend every country in the world is not playing in this game is to all but want another Cold War. Don't fool yourself. This even affects disputes and solutions ongoing in the Senkukas, Arctic Ocean, Syria, Iran, and even the ISS. And Moldova.

An "I do not care" attitude is exactly what happened when an Iron Curtain decended on Eastern Europe. The attitude encouraged Stalin, create 50 years of crisis, the Korean War, and almost (many times) the destructiion of mankind.

Third, wasted bandwidth is discussion of a missing airliner. That is about emotion attached to something that does not have decades of consequences to every nation. What is happening in Ukraine , if ignored, can have major consequences for the next 50 years. It is no exaggeration that another Cold War was made necessary when trust was so subverted in 2000-2008.

No current news story is more serious; could potentially change everyone's future. But only if the "I don't care" attitude makes that happen. What happens now with every little response could defuse what is otherwise the precursor to WWIII. As happened in late 1940s Europe to almost blow up the entire world in the 1960s. It should be your most important new story. An "I don't care" atttitude is why it is so serious. As if nobody learned anything from Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, etc.

You do also know about the nine dash line?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote