Thread: British Telly
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #276
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This week was the last episode of the wonderful Inside Number Nine.
I thought they saved the best til last.

Mum has really enjoyed it week by week and didn't agree (that it was the best), but I accept that we have different tastes, and I'm so happy she gave each episode a fair viewing.
I know she loved the parade of classic British actors who co-star. It makes it more properer in her eyes.
And she can spot good writing to be fair to her.

Dads is more about the visuals, but he zoned in and out while we watched them together.
Shame, he'd have had something to say about the lighting and the camera angles ten years, even five years ago.

Me, I'm all about the language.
And Steve and Reece can never disappoint me.

Mum is used to seeing Steve Pemberton on screen, but not Reece Shearsmith, so she said, "He can act, can't he?" in surprise, having only seen him briefly in The League of Gentlemen. Briefly because she thought it was disgusting.
Although I can't see how playing that amount of characters isn't acting - it's not Benny Hill.

Anyway, the last ep -The Harrowing - was just that. Harrowing I mean, not disgusting.
I was genuinely scared when I watched it, from very early on in the 30 minutes.
It's not horror as we know it now. It's not even real suspense.
But the seeding, and the music, and the foreshadowing.
For a comedy short I found it surprisingly disturbing. I felt actual fear.
Which isn't to say other people will, especially if they read a review or precis (I've been so careful not to give anything away to y'all who will never watch a single episode!)
But coming across it with no expectations it would be... a find.

Some of lines filled me with joy.
Not laugh out loud funny, although rewatching it with Mum she laughed in different places.

- Do you like Poe?
- The Teletubbie?

And now it's gone.
Please watch it on any kind of media you can.
To me it was worth the license fee alone.

PS - Mum is now a little worried about going to see Ghost Stories, which is exactly where she should be.