View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Losing my religion

The first week of Great Lent has just finished. Not Roman Catholic Lent, that started on Wednesday, but Orthodox Great Lent. There are four preceding weeks, each with its own significance and hymns that are sung at no other time of year, and then Forgiveness Sunday, and Clean Monday. The first week is the most strict, the most devoted. Each succeeding week has its own significance and particular services. I kept it for two decades. Not so many years, really. It's a great spiritual exercise, at its best an experience in the mystical.

I still find it difficult at this time of year. I am intensely angry, I no longer attend or observe, but I haven't so far been able to insulate myself against the calendar.

I'm wondering about the experiences of others - mystical or not, observances that are grounded in community or eremitic and ethereal. No agendas, just wondering.

Last edited by orthodoc; 03-08-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Interested in learning rather than in spouting TMI
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote