Thread: yesterday...
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I was adjusting the pressure switch on the spa. It has to be on to do so. It's a really stupid design that it needs to be the case, and that you are exposed to a 'live' mechanism. I don't know how a setup like that could pass a standards test, but apparently it did. In my opinion, the only part that should be exposed is the screw you need to turn after you press the reset button, but it's not. The whole inner workings are exposed when you take the top off to get to that bit, and you can't reset the pressure with it off. It simply doesn't do it. At least I was sensible enough to wear shoes I guess.

About the kids. The do their own washing, and some of the rest if asked. They do help out much more than any other kids their ages that I know. They will always babysit if I need them to. Admittedly, they're not big on cooking, but they will do it if I ask. I usually enjoy doing it though, so that's not a problem.

I think it's that when I was pregnant with Eva, I was so sick, only the bare essentials of cleaning were done. A lot of the maintenance type jobs were left, so really, there is a lot to do around here. Obviously the first year for the baby is pretty high maintenance too, so I didn't really do all the catching up I needed to then either. We're almost there now. I more or less started at the front of the house and worked to the back (hence the stuff with the spa area), but we still have a long way to go on the gardens and yard and I think that's what was bothering me.

It's not that they wont help. It's just that they wouldn't think of it themselves, and my husband definitely wouldn't. It's not their priority. They have their own things to do and are moving towards being independent of us anyway. Daryl is always at work, and although he's making a lot more effort to be a part of the family lately, he's still not good at housework in any form, and he has less idea and inclination with the yard. Our yard has vines and hedging on every fence. While I have been inattentive, it's gone crazy. The boys and I will be sorting that out starting on Monday. Mav and I might do a bit this arvy if we can. Nothing like getting out with a machete and hedge trimmer when thinking about gardening on Australia Day!

I will be fine. I'm just reflecting on life a lot recently. Thinking about needs, wants and desires, and what's being met and what isn't, and what I'm doing right or wrong to influence those situations. It's a life in progress. I just had a bit of a wake up call I suppose.