View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #164
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

This controversy was exposed by the NY Times about 1 month ago. Intentional harm to Ft Lee traffic was a front page story that also included other events. For example, a NJ State Republican Senator, who did not say something good enough about Christie, suddenly found his legislation blocked including a judge sponsorship. Another NJ Congressman said some things good and bad about Christie. Gov Christie is keenly and daily aware of what others say. And what is happening in his administration. So this Congressman, who was up for a Judgeship, immediately found himself struck from the list. And at least two of his relatives who do business with or work for the state had their jobs immediately terminated that week.

Can we attribute any of this to Christie? No. The only reason this NY Times article was ignored: no smoking gun. But that article inspired the legislature to investigate. An NJ Congressional investigation discovered e-mails that confirm what the NY Times reported a month and ago and that the NJ Governor publicly denied back then.

A bully will be vindictive to the weak. And will make a big deal about working with others he cannot bully. Christie does this well because, as noted previously, he is a shrewd politician. Shrewd does not mean honest or having political integrity. It only says he is excellent at manipulating most of us.

Did he make a mistake? Normally a politician will reject these accusations with a few comments and little fanfare. Instead, Christie did a 2 hour press conference. I remember previous politicians spending so much time denying an accusation: ie Nixon and Watergate. Was that overly long press conference harmful. Had it been another politician, I would have called it a major mistake. But this is Christie. Interesting is if so much time in denial results in a state wide pardon or a sudden suspicion of a man who has a bully's history.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote