View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I give some weight to that report, but this is a measurement of people who decided to use this particular third-party repair service, as opposed to just using AppleCare, some other warranty service, or DIY fixes.

I saw another report that said a good fifth of problems reported are OS-related (i.e., more than likely to be user error or confusion) and another fifth are hard drive (i.e., should be almost equal across all non-SSD systems).

Also, I say again, the Walmart HPs are the shittiest laptops you can find. Walmart shoppers are infinitely more likely to create PEBKAC errors, use their laptops to hold up short table legs, etc. How many of those warranty repairs are for shitboxes, and how many for EliteBooks? Don't know...

My guess is that it's kind of like cars: if you maintain your system, know how to use it, and don't drop it, most comparable systems are going to fail at similar rates. Apple doesn't use magical hard drives and memory in its laptops. They use the same components everyone else does. They even make amateur fan routing mistakes -- and, sadly, fix them via software.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote