View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #253
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This line of reasoning is extremely offensive to the mental health community and its patients. You may want to apologize.
For saying that they are needed? After hearing the backstories of some of these recent massacres, that really appeared to be an issue.

I'm not being trivial here. There is a point at which the ease of access to healthcare for someone else affects me. It becomes more enlightened self-interest than pure altruism. Firearms are an extreme example, but there are also strangers whose lives intersect and affect my own. Companies make a big deal about impairment due to recreational drugs, because an intrusive drug test and a 'drug free' sticker is cheap. They don't say anything about how a person's mental state might affect their performance or interaction with me.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 11-29-2013 at 10:56 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote