View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Nuclear weapons scare the bejeesus outta me

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
Does anyone even worry about this anymore? The end of the cold war is not exactly a good thing. I think the generation before ours (speaking for some of us) was terrified of it as a real possibility.
I remember watching "The Day After", and being scared shitless at the possibility. I even went on a local (Baltimore) TV talk show (that was co-hosted by none other than Oprah, so you know this is old!), to debate the issue of nuclear weapons.

The possibility still scares me. I even had a small panic attack about it for a few days after 9/11...I was expecting to see the flash in the sky, and then the big mushroom cloud...anytime I heard a heavy rumbling at night, I was ready to jump out of my skin (turns out, it was only the patrol planes flying nearby).

I have no idea why I reacted like that, but it subsided after a couple of days (although when regular planes started flying again, I had to look up).

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote