Thread: TOUR
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Now, if you go to the super market you see veggies that are close to the end, packaged up and marked way, way down. They didn't used to do that.
When I was in HS, my Dad arranged with a Shriner buddy that owned a market, for me to load the pickup three times a week, with stuff they were throwing out, to feed my pigs.
The veggies were still good, maybe a little wilted or a couple of bad spots that could easily be cut off.
The thing that always got me was the pastry, all boxed up and clean but a day or two past the expiration date. There was coffee rings, pound cakes, strudel and the like, from Drakes, Entenmanns and Sara Lee. Once in a while Mom would come out and grab a coffee cake off the truck when I got home.
yeah, at that time, bruce, we had our share of stale pumpkin pies, donuts, and pastry. We also would find dozens of loaves of white bread, flats of tomatoes, lettuce still in bags......seems like more and more grocery stores have begun using enclosed dumpsters now, though....not that i've looked.

if jinx would get off her ass and share some of HER observations, as I ve asked, pleaded, demanded, and now applied public pressure for her to do, you'd all get a more complete picture of what went on. Her memory is far superior to mine. c'mon, shelb!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote