View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I disagree with some of these.
But I'm not going to pick them apart because that would be petty, and there probably is wisdom there.

I have allowed myself to take issue with one though.
Quote:
Life’s curve balls are thrown for a reason – to shift your path in a direction that is meant for you.
No.
There is no "reason".
What I might think of as a shitty circumstance that made me stronger is only hindsight. Like my housemate kicking me out so I had to move back here. It's not been great, but it has changed me. Is that good?

And where do you draw the line? Curve balls are different according to where you live.
Did I lose both parents to AIDs because it is endemic in my country? Oh yes I did, it was a nudge along my personal path.
Was I systematically raped during a civil war? Yes. But only to make me stronger.
Did the crops fail, my children die, my home burn?
Was my shanty town drowned in mud or bulldozed, my home lost in a hurricane?
Well, yes! Must have been aimed only at me, to help make me into the person I am.

Not aimed at you, Nirv. I know you didn't write it.
And you know I am an atheist.
I also don't believe in fate, luck, things-that-were-meant-to-be, UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis.

So I'm not the target readership.