View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #78
Card_shuffler
Kinda New Member

Hand shuffler seeks advice

I shuffle cards to pass time and break boredom. I know the montony of shuffling can produce boredom, but for some reason it relaxes and helps sooth tension, stress and anxiety.

One thing I have been noticing lately when I shuffle the deck and look through it afterwards to just see the distribution.

sometimes there is only on set of double number (same number, varying suit) and at other times as many a five such pairings in a single after-shuffle. Recently too I have been finding instances of 3 same number of differing suits grouped together and at others straights and the such.

I am a math affecianado too, and probability/Permutations fascinate me, and I am just wondering why this occurs, it seems that shuffling the deck is just as chancy as playing a game of Poker and that everything is determined by the luck of the draw.

I would appreciate some banter on this phenomenon because it bugs me that it happens, but I accept it begrudingly. I mean seeing one, two and as many pairings as 5 from a single overhand shuffle of 8 to 20 passes really annoys me.

And I guess we are all looking for that perfect shuffle, aren't we? Well I guess it'll never happen, not with the number of permutations available for a standard Poker deck. Thanks.
Card_shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote