View Single Post
Old 01-13-2002, 05:14 PM   #27
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
I'm skeptical of approaches that don't involve stopping cold turkey, or that attempt to substitute one drug for another. Some people do end up quitting while using patches or other drugs. I don't think there's any way to know if that really made it easier for them.
It might be possible if a carefully controlled study were performed. I am not sure if there are any physiological measures (e.g. changes in brain activity) that could determine the severity of a craving.

Quote:
Believing that your addiction is somehow different and less tractable than other people's can't be helpful on that score.
I believe that addictions can be unique. What works for me may not work for Joe Blow. Based on personal experience, I know what has been helpful for me and what has not.

Quote:
"Ads don't work on me." strikes me as a curious thing to say. An ad isn't going to make you stop smoking...at best, all an ad can do is try to keep the ideas and issues in front of your concious mind, and work towards tipping the balance.
To me, it's like a desensitizing. You see it enough, you get used to it.

Quote:
Reducing the spaces where smoking is permitted isn't to discourage smokers
I don't believe that is necessarily true. While I don't argue the health of others aspect, I suspect a psychological element to it as well--"If we make it harder for people to smoke, they will find that it is not worth it to smoke anymore." They have the right to reduce smoking areas...smokers will still find a place to light up.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote