View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Its sad that cinematography and direction are messed up for most of the 'horror' flicks these days.
(I think I managed to avoid spoilers, unless you haven't seen 30 year old movies and were just waiting for the right time.)

What about writing?

Watching Star Trek: Into Darkness sparked my wife and I on to rewatching Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home. The writing in those was so. much. better.

Dialogue was great. Emotional, witty and fun. Stories were lush, with some chains of causation paying off only after 3 movies (Kirk's journey from Admiral back to Captain, where we all know he belongs).

The new series is very enjoyable, but doesn't have the depth. Lots of echos to the original movies and that's about it. Into Darkness did pretty well echoing Khan at a pre-Khan canon-relative time.

To me, if the bulk of your foreshadowing pays off in 45 minutes you are cheating the story. Cheesy little back-references do not make a deep story.

I noticed similar issues with Fast & Furious 6, but the prior art in the franchise doesn't lead to high expectations. Full of "we repeated a line that was funny/meaningful in a previous movie, aren't we clever?" One instance of which was accompanied by a wink almost directly into the fourth wall. Which in itself can be fine, but either have the confidence to camp it up or don't.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote