Thread: Olive Oil
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I bought a case of this, a few years ago and I'm on my last bottle.
Quote:
I Legni Selection For real connoisseurs, here's a serie of special products. Three varieties of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, refined respectively in barrels of Chestnut, Cherry and Oak. This is a very peculiar selection, since the product matures in barriques of one single wood, that gives a specific flavour and aroma to each of the variety. They come with or without single gift box.
http://www.acetum.it/acetumbrand.htm

This is not for salad dressing or cooking with. It is meant to be used as a dipping sauce or poured directly on the food in teaspoon sized portions. It is your "Sunday go to meeting" vinegar. The way it is made is fairly complex, the vinegar is aged for a number of years, then half of it is drawn off and aged further in a secondary barrel. The first barrel has new vinegar added to the aged half that remains. When a number of years go by, half the contents of the secondary aging barrel are moved to a third barrel for aging, and half the contents of the first barrel are added to the remains of the second barrel. New vinegar is added to the remains of the first barrel.

If that weren't complicated enough, when the third barrel is finished aging, half of that is added to the first barrel. I left that part out of the first description for clarity.

The flavor of this stuff is really amazingly complex. The wood flavors come through clearly. I don't care for the smell or Cherry wood, I find it unpleasantly spicey. It comes through quite clearly in the vinegar, but is somewhat tamed by the other flavors. It's not my favorite, but it is interesting how the cherry which I find unpleasant is ameliorated to the point where it becomes fascinating, like one of those people you are not sure if you love them or hate them.

I also use their
Quote:
Aceto Balsamico di Modena Biologico Balsamic Vinegar of Modena obtained from grapes from Organic agriculture and certified by CCPB in Bologna, the Control Consortium that carefully follows all the production steps. This Organic Balsamic Vinegar has the same high sensory features of our Acetum products, and it is addressed to health-conscious consumers.
as an everyday vinegar