View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

this comes just before the Lyrid Meteor shower begins.

That's set to peak around the 22nd.

Quote:
t is going to be a great time for sky-watchers. Lyrid meteor shower 2013 and aurora borealis forecast due to solar flare will coincide this time

The much awaited “Lyrid Meteor” showers are all set to make their grand debut in the skies of northern hemisphere, this year from April 16 onwards. It’s time for the sky watchers to be all set for the showers, an annual affair, that would end by April 26.

Lyrids, observed from last 2600 years, are the meteor showers that take place for ten days every year from April 16-26. The radiant of the meteor shower is located within the constellation Lyra which is the neighbor to Alpha Lyrae, the brightest star of the constellation. Therefore these showers are also known as Alpha Lyrids and also April Lyrids. The showers that are at their peak on April 22, are caused due to the shedding of particles and dust shed by the cometary tail of Comet Thatcher’, that orbits the sun about every 415 years and last visited our solar system in 1861. It is expected to return in 2276. Every year during this period of the month, the Earth runs into a stream of cosmic debris from the comet which causes the Lyrid meteor shower.