Thread: Fun with LASERs
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
JamesB
Violator of Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh wow! How lovely!

The tardis is teh awsum! And like Sundae, I think I like it unpainted best.
Thanks.

The TARDIS project started out as an amusing project for myself.

From initial inspiration to the first really good model was exactly 2 weeks. I have a partially developed web page showing the development timeline, but many of the needed photographs have yet to be taken so there are lots of "images not found". The page is here, but it's a long way from being finished, and you've already seen most of the interesting photographs in this topic.

Then a business associate suggested that it may be saleable, and as she was soon to travel to the UK for licensing discussions with the BBC, she could hand carry a few to the meeting for their comments.

Just three weeks later, three versions (painted, unpainted, and a kit of parts) were hand carried to the UK to show to the BBC (and getting the paint correct in that time frame was just one of the many difficulties).

Unfortunately the meeting with the BBC resulted in challenges I didn't have the time to resolve. The BBC liked the models, but they wanted changes that were going to be difficult to implement, and they also thought it would be too expensive (at least using the one at a time LASER cut production method).

I know of a few very similar inferior designs that have since appeared and are being sold on the internet (there's no way they could have received licenses for them), so it's a bit disheartening.

I haven't given up, and I tinker with the design when I have time, but these days it's mostly just for my own satisfaction and to use them as a sample of what I can do with the machine.

Quote:
Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote