View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 11:36 PM   #5
Nic Name
retired

The point of the topmost post was to draw the attention of a modern audience, most of whom were not even born before January 6, 1941, to a very historic speech ... on the anniversary of its delivery. I think that speech has contemporary relevance, as well as historical significance.

The Four Freedoms speech was certainly in the minds of presidential speech writers, and the President, when he delivered his speech following the September 11 attacks.

These speeches invite comparison, as you have, tw.

There are clear differences: FDR was speaking pre-Pearl Harbor, though the threat to America of the war in Europe was clear at that time to the government, if not to the people. GWB was speaking post-9/11 to a world audience that felt the immediate threat. Also, it was post FDR's much studied "Four Freedoms" speech, which is recognized as a defining moment for that President. So what impact did FDR's speech and the ensuing attack on Pearl Harbor have on the words and delivery of GWB's speech?

But there are similarities: both Presidents used their speeches to rally the support of the nation to an escalating war effort. That point is remarked by Hubris Boy, above.

I'm sure there are many points for comparison. I wonder what the communty in the Cellar, especially the Politics forum, thinks about these speeches in the context of current events.

So, the point of the topmost post was to evoke analysis and comparisons of the two speeches, as you have done. I'm sure others in the Cellar have thoughts on this, and I'm very interested. Not everyone cares for hard thinking, and I don't always, but for those that do, this could be as good a discussion as any in this Politics forum.

tw, thanks for weighing in on the analysis.

These two speeches delivered fifty years apart, read together today, may also stimulate discussion of how times have changed politically, and how they haven't.

As you point out, tw, FDR's A Date Which Will Live In Infamy speech, post Pearl Harbor, is also worth comparing in this analysis. In fact, students of that speech have analysed and compared it to Patrick Henry's revolutionary Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death speech. And perhaps there are points in JFK's inaugural address of January 20, 1961 that are as relevant today even though the circumstances are completely different. I think that famous speech must also have been on the table, along with FDR's speeches, when GWB's writers were trying to figure out what the hell to say on September 20, 2001, knowing it may be the defining speech of his presidency.

Which begs the question: will it be?

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-12-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote