View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Tril, every dog owner has had their dog get away from them, run through an open door, or escape from a garden where the gate's beenleft open or just seen something across the way and taken them by surprise.

It happens. However careful we are as owners, we cannot be 100 % vigililant to all dangers at all times.

Incidentally, earlier, when you asked about carrot running off and I said he doesnt get much of an opportunity to run off and not come back, because he isn't allowed off the lead.I thought afterwards that was probably a clumsy thing to say. I didn't mean because I am uber careful and making sure he isn't at risk of running off...that is a risk with any dog, especially a young one, but it's a necessary risk for most dog owners to take and it's one I take with him often. He's only not allowed off the lead because of his hip dysplasia. But because of that I don't really have a good take on how well he will respond to emergency stops and call backs.

You didn't take any greater risks than any dog owner does every day with their dog. Because you cannot protect against every eventuality and you cannot be permanently primed for disaster. You are no more responsible for this than a parent whose child has forgotten what they've been told about road safety and gone running into the road after a ball is responsible for their tragedy.

You don't deserve this pain.

You didn't let her down, this was not your fault. Not at all.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote