Thread: Consumer Dreams
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It's amazing how some of those older (mid-60's) appliances fared. We replaced our basement freezer recently. It was over 30 years old. The only issues were a bad door seal, energy efficiency, and lack of parts that was going to hit us when it finally did go belly up. We've had a few instances where one of the kids did not check the door and we lost the contents. This freezer has an alarm and adjustable temperature settings on the outside of the door.

We are big on service contracts. Unfortunately, shortly after this mostly voluntary purchase, our 15-year-old front load washer went belly up and was declared a total loss by the service company, which gave us $199 dollars towards the purchase of a new machine.

I know washers have way more moving parts than freezers, but I don't remember ever having to pay for a new compressor and I don't remember ever having to put in more refrigerant, although I'm not the one who schedules service and maintenance calls. I just think that things built before the 80's were built to last.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote