View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, to my reading, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" does seem to entail the right to shag donkeys, if you think it will make you happy. Who are we to say "no"?

Seriously, you can shoot animals and eat them; you can force-feed them and slaughter them; you can cage them and harvest eggs and milk; you can do medical experiments on them; in some cases you can shoot them just because you feel like shooting them; and if you own one, you can (humanely) put it to death at your whim.

But, you're not allowed to have sex with them.

Given all the things we can do, this isn't about animal rights.

There is *some* argument that there is a disease transmission risk, but that risk already exists with farms, pets and hunting. There's more risk from shagging humans. It's not about that.

I think the ban on bestiality really comes down to the vast majority of us going "eeeiiiuuwww!!" at the idea, and no-one wanting to be the one to speak against this.

That was pretty much the situation with homosexuality a few decades back.

So, lets face it. Some guy wants to shag his donkey? It's not my problem; at least, not in any way that justifies imprisoning him for it.

Can anyone give me a non-religious, non-emotional reason to think otherwise, that is consistent with all the other acts we allow towards animals?