View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune
These guys are hilarious because they are THE originals. Their acts will never fade away, nor cease to be funny to me. Come on -- it doesn't get funnier than connecting the water line to the electrical conduits and having some poor chef go nuts as the lightbulbs fill with water, stove sprays him, etc.
The interesting thing about the Stooges is that they were second bananas to Ted Healy, who created and managed the act as"Ted Healy and His Racketeers", "Ted Healy and His Three Southern Gentlemen", "Ted Healy and His Gang," or "Ted Healy and His Stooges". The fact that they broke off and went on to surpass Healy just illustrates that in show business talent usually rises to the top.

Jonathan Harris is a good example of talent. He took an unsympathetic character in "Lost in Space", goofed himself up, and stretched what I heard was supposed to be a 'guest star' role through the entire run of the show.

The farm system analogy does work. Mike Meyers came from SNL and is doing great work, and in true Jerry Lewis fashion is taking full creative control and working behind the camera.

I still want more. SNL is in decline..again. Mad TV is doing some good stuff. 'Whose Line Is It" is interesting, but it's still just improvisation, and nothing like "Your Show of Shows" or the other greats.

Watching Phil Silvers and Zero Mostel go head to head in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", or the entire 'Who's on First" skit reminded me that I haven't seen anything that good in over a decade.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote