View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #8716
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Carrot went for hydro today, and for the first time theynput the underwater treadmill onto the 'uphill' setting. Quite a low gradient, but a challenge when coupled with walking against the water.

He did 17 minutes! Took him about 6 minutes to find his stride, he was swinging wild and veering to the side, or wobbling about as his feet placed at odd angles. Thought for first couple of minutes that he may only be able to do 12 minutes, but once he found his stride he seemed comfortable with the pace.

He wobbled about something shocking afterwards though. You could see his little legs had gone to jelly. No pain, no gain babydog, feel the burn, etc etc.

So now he's uber relaxed having burned off a bucketful of high-octane puppy energy.

Also, this morning I let him off his lead for some runabout play with a couple of local dogs. Oh he loved it so. They're both dogs that play nice and no risk of them trying to rubgy tackle him or anything.

This was a rambly way of introing what's making me feel happy: I'm feeling really quite optimistic about Carrot's prospects. After nearly two months of hydro and exercises he wasn't building the muscle he needs to build and I was feeling despondent. Since I had him neutered (I should really have posted about that....God I felt a traitor) his appetite has stabilised and he isn't refusing his meals. So he has started to fill out and the muscles are visibly forming around his hind quarters.

He is using those muscles more in his day to day movements too. Not just in the exercises that push him to use them. I can see his legs bending properly now for some of his walk. Though he returns to his swinging shuffle when tired.
Since he's been cut these quirks of movement are so much clearer to see. A shaggy beardie coat smooths it all out to observers.

So yeah. I think he's going to be ok. Of course I now have to persuade the insurance people that the limit of 12 sessions of 'complementary therapy' should be extended, but we'll leave that for another time ;P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote