View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
SamIam

I like April 1, too.

Getting back to the "ratings" thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I'm with im on this. There are individuals here who post a fair amount of dreck and occasional irreplaceable brilliant insight. Would they keep posting if they got slapped down 9 of 10 posts? I'm willing to wade through the flotsam.
One of the other forums I visit has a "Thanks" feature (for your incredibly useful, insightful, whatever) post. The names of the people thanking the poster are shown below the post. Naturally, there's always a gang of the usual suspects who thank each other, but if someone posts something really good, I'll notice all the "Thanks" beneath and decide to read it to see what all the fuss is about. It's a very large forum, and the "Thanks" help seperate the wheat from the chaff.

While the Cellar is nowhere near as large as this other place, I can still see where a thanks/plus system might be helpful here and even kind of fun. I don't get discouraged from posting on that other forum if my every word is not greeted with universal acclaim, and no one else does either. It's no different really from starting a thread and seeing if you get any bites. Sometimes you do - sometimes you don't - no biggie.

Rep points are kind of fun, too. The system I'm familiar with lets you give other posters rep points for a really great post, but the rep points are added to the username field rather than the post itself. If you want to make a comment along with your rep point, it gets sent to whoever made the post as a pm, but the rest of the board doesn't see the personal comment or even who it was that awarded the points.

I think either or both of the above might be interesting to try. We could have rep points and/or "Thanks" for a given trial period and then everyone could vote if we want to keep them or not.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote