View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #153
glatt

I'm curious about how pawn shops work. My experience with pawn shops is limited.

Let's say I have a widget that cost $300 new, and on ebay, they go for $100 used. What does the pawn shop pay me if I try to unload it? And I understand the pawn shop will give you a loan on something if you request it, and it's not crap. Is what they will loan me less than what they will pay me to buy it?

Is there any thought at all given to the possibility that stuff is stolen? If so, will the pawn shop turn it down, or does physical possession of something imply ownership? I suppose if records are kept of who drops stuff off, then if something is stolen the cops can track down the thief. Do people ever come in looking for their stolen stuff?

What are some of the most commonly pawned items, and what are your best sellers?

Does the pawn shop look for good deals and bargains, playing on sellers' lack of knowledge, or is it more like a financial institution that tries to determine the actual value of an item and everything is disclosed to all parties?

Lots of questions, I know! But I'd really be curious to hear how one of these places works.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote