View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #1068
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I usually find that the 'being ignored' feeling comes from inside my own head, not from anything anybody has or hasn't said.

I remember feeling really upset one time in here, and I think the only person I ever talked to about it was Sundae. I felt absolutely ignored and disregarded, and a little bit hurt. I also felt a little defensive, because rather than putting myself out there, I'd put my eldest niece out there. In the Proud Parent thread. And nobody was interested enough to make a comment. Except Sundae. And I waited to see if anybody would comment. And they didn't. And then people posted about other stuff and their kids and grandkids. And the only comment was from Sundae, who I'd pm'd to say: ooooh I just posted a pic of Meels, go check it out.

So, I'd posted all about her triumph and success and a picture that i thought looked stunning, and noone was really interested. I ended up posting a followup a few days later, and I think someone did do a caption for the pic which was quite funny.

I wound myself up good and proper over that. But the reality is, people weren't ignoring or disregarding me and mine. All that sense of being ignored, all that hurt at an apparent lack of interest which takes no account of how many people actually looked, or the particular way in which people interact with that thread (nipping in with pics, all aglow and really more concerned with what you're about to share that what's already gone by :P) ...and indeed, the way I interact with that thread (infrequently and often without commenting) was coming from me.

But in my own mind I built it up into something hurtful. For a little while. Just in one of those fragile moods that occasionally hit :p

[eta] my point, inasmuch as I have one, is that not being responded to on a forum does not equate to being ignored or disregarded, and more of us have at some point experienced that feeling of being ignored than you might imagine.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote