Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #141
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Go baby, you can do this.
Yes, yes I can. In fact, I did. I think I hit it out of the park. It went a little long, the two guys on the other side of the table seemed relaxed and happy and engaged. There was a back and forth, a conversation which I take as a good sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Good luck!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Good luck today!
This I will take for tomorrow! Because I have a second interview with the VP of IS and the Supervisor of IS tomorrow at 10 am. I get a big, unsettling shock of adrenaline when I focus on it, even when I'm typing this post.

Nervous, I'm nervous.

The first panel interview seems to have been something of a screening interview. I think they were looking for ... "personal fit" or some other such soft quality. They weren't part of the IS structure, and all the questions were non technical. I was the first interview of the day, and by 1 pm the same day, I had received emails indicating this second interview. I find this good evidence of making a good impression. I asked them how many interviews they'd done, and when they told me I was the first one, I suggested that they could just stop now, give me the recommendation and that I wouldn't let them down. We all laughed.

One reason I'm nervous is that this is the technical assessment of my suitability. Crunch time. I honestly believe I can do this job (not in my sleep, but ... anyhow. I can do this easily). However, as part of the screening process, I took four tests online. I scored 88, 82 and 86 on the first three and 49 on the last one. fuuuuuuuck. I am kinda miffed about the online testing anyhow, but, ok. But some of the questions were just pointless. The core subject matter was Windows 7, and unfortunately for me, I don't have a lot of screen time with Win7. And several of the questions were syntax based. Not having the actual hands on with that means that I am reduced to guessing. Not that guessing is bad, because misspelling a command line parameter or putting in and invalid switch really isn't a big deal. That's what we have what I like to call "books" for. I look that crap up if I don't have it memorized. This wasn't allowed for the test, but in the real world, I look up stuff.

I made this point to my first interview panel, and they didn't know anything about the tests, so I wound up kind of "telling on myself". I gave them the justification you just heard, so it was good to be able to rehearse it. We shall see.

Thanks all for your good vibes!!