Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #129
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

back to the crying about the interview. I was writing the post when I got snookered by some fucking bill collector. fuckingfuck.

anyhow.

I could do the job, the job description is very similar to my last job. but this one just went horribly. I don't think I got anything wrong, but the vibe on the call was cold, curt. ended quickly. no connection, y'know? He seemed to be getting all the answers he needed, and they indicated this is a dead end. fuck, I'm so sad. I need a job.

I wasn't quite prepared for the first question, and I should have hit it out of the park. "I see you were the IT Supervisor at xyz company back in... June 2011. What have you been doing to keep current in IT?" Then I blathered on (truthfully) about the time off being something of a vacation at first, then my "job" was getting a job. Then when I reconnected my (stupid ill-advised free association monologue instead of a canned) answer to his original question, I realized that I hadn't given him anything about me staying up to date with IT, no, just hanging out here at the beach, blah blah. dumbass. I realized my foolishness and was chastened, but not before I could shut my mouth, and I said, as my brain was spinning up some connection to his question, "that's a good question, I hadn't been prepared for that one" (fires bullet into mouth). Then I gave some weak shit how I'm the go-to-guy for my circle of friends and family when it comes to computer questions, example this and example that, see? I do this work even when I'm not being paid, ha ha ha.

and kinda downhill from there. fuck.

I don't know how downhill, I did answer the other questions, are you more of troubleshooter/problem solver or designer/architect? pretty easy, troubleshooter. why? I'm good at it, I like solving problems, puzzles. I like fixing things, and the other part is I like helping people. It's a good natural fit for me.

"What is your number one tool in your toolbox?" Another easy one, my observational skills, my ability to listen. If I had technical skills, they're useless unless I know what the user needs or wants.

then questions about dns, group policy, and cloud backup. we're done, click. no actually, he was polite, there was a tiny acknowledgment of my answers/examples on the last one when I spoke plainly about how important a user's data is relative to applications or hardware. It wasn't ALL crickets chirping on his side, but they only stopped to let him respond enough to indicate he heard my answer and move on to the next question. I asked about the next step and the timing, he said they'd move by the end of the week.

At this moment, I feel I'll get a thanks but no thanks email, it may well be in my inbox now. drinking heavily seems to be my next move, but I am really joking. ha. I need to apply to another five ten twenty places, and just get these kind of "bad dates" out of my system, or so in my system that I don't get crushed by the rejection. Of course, that's easier said than done. Maybe I'll start with a drink after all.

[/pity party]