View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

what do you do for a living and have your unique senses had an impact on it?

What I do for a living is the primary cause of issue #1 -- the anxiety. Carrying a pager around and having it go off at all hours of the day and night was bad, while the calls and problems that the pages led to were horrible. There were nights sleep didn't happen because I was getting paged so often to log in and handle technical problems. Very shortly after taking the job, I began admiring people that worked jobs that ended after a certain hour of the day. So while you might not enjoy waiting tables, your work is over with once you are off shift. Mine didn't stop and it soon became some kind of rule or bad luck that the moment I tried going to sleep would be cause for the pager to go off.

"PLEASE JOIN BRIDGE. CLUSTER DOWN. EMERGENCY", it would usually read, which was enough to get my heart going, knowing that some director or VP had also been woken from their sleep and paged to the call because of the severity of the issue. After awhile, sleep wasn't possible, so I didn't. I was unable to relax. It was then that I developed something that used to be called "soldier's heart" because palpitations, skipped beats, and feeling your heart beat all the time were usually seen in people that had been in combat situations and were stressed out because of it.

The synethsia was only an issue when I was really young. After awhile I learned to simply keep my mouth shut about it.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote