View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #339
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Can lose caution? 1% of situations where people losing caution is a hell of a lot different than 99% of situations. Your statement has no merit since you are using anecdotes and what if scenarios. In the vast majority of situations, the scene will not be complete chaos.

And where do you get your 1% and 99% ?
Frankly, I believe you will be hard pressed to document a statistically valid
sample of instances where CCL-guns were actually used to prevent or reduce
the incidence of the so-called intrusions/attacks/etc, let alone test the level of "caution" or loss there of.
Certainly the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms' annual surveys cannot document such improved outcomes.

Seriously, to both sides, it all depends on gun culture. When some people (lets call them Type A) get a hold of guns, they realize the power of the weapon they are holding and will become more cautious. They will not do anything stupid and will avoid confrontations unless absolutely necessary. Guns in the hands of these people, in general (I repeat....in general), will make society safer.

How much safer will these Type A people be with their guns than without them ?
I believe you are defining this group from within a larger group of people
- who generally behave safely and avoid confrontations, with or without a gun.

When other people (lets call them Type B) get a hold of guns, they realize the power of the weapon and power trip. They will be very confrontational and will enforce their status with guns. Gun in the hands of these people, in general, will make society more dangerous.

And, so the numerical balance of outcome between two groups is what, zero ?
Again, such a number is probably not available, and it's an assumption
that Group A benefits will far outweigh group B.

Both sides of the gun debate argument talk about different types of people.

Also, complete gun control in the US is a fantasy due to our gun culture. Both Type A and Type B people prefer guns and banning will just push guns further underground, as it did with drugs and alcohol.

In a previous post, you said such would lead to "revolution" Now that is scary, and really cuts off discussion !
But isn't the biggest part of this problem what you refer to next... regulation.
From my perspective, it's the absolute intolerance towards any kind of regulation by NRA etc. that prevents useful discussion

To make the US safer with guns, it has to strictly regulated. In order to possess a firearm, classes and licenses (like driving) need to be obtained. If you are caught with a firearm without a license, the penalty should be harsh since there should be NO excuse for carrying without a license.

This is not a perfect solution but both sides need to acknowledge that their views are far from ideal as well.
Agreed !
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote