View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #320
dmg1969
I got nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Is that true? I'm not so sure. If you walk past a "no tresspassing" sign, do you get a second verbal warning before you can be arrested for tresspassing? No.

If a private property has a sign that says in effect "anyone carrying a gun is tresspassing," then why do they get a second warning? Tresspassing is about entering a private property without permission, and in the gun case, a person carrying a gun does not have permission.
Let me preface this by saying that I work for a law firm and do have attorneys at my disposal to ask such questions. Your trespassing example is correct. I can be arrested for coming onto your property against your No Trespassing sign. However, in the theater example, you are an invited guest. Again, you cannot be arrested for breaking their policy. They can ask you to leave an not come back. If you refused to leave (which would be stupid), you could be charged with something like disorderly conduct. Or, if you returned after being asked to leave, that could be trespassing. The attorney I asked used the example of sneaking food or drink into the theater. They have signs prohibiting it. Will you be arrested for it? No...you will be asked to leave. You cannot be trespassing if you are an invited guest.