View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #933
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ugh... bless his heart, but my dad is an idiot.

He has never held a garage sale in his life, and apparently assumed that everything would be magically sold at the end of the day. So he casually mentions to me at 9:00 this morning that he told the new owner she could move in first thing tomorrow, since of course we'd be completely out by then.

FFFFFUUUUUUUU---

I call the realtor to get the new owner's number.
I call the new owner and she says yes, she was indeed planning on starting tomorrow. I warn her that all is not in fact well, but I will do my best. She allows that we could maybe leave a few pieces in the garage for a few days, but, you know, she wouldn't prefer it.

I call a half dozen consignment stores.
I take pictures of the furniture that I assume at this point will not sell, which is quite a lot of it.
I email said pictures to said consignment stores.

I call half a dozen moving companies, but the earliest any of them can come pick up this crap is 9:30 tomorrow morning.

I begin getting replies from consignment stores, all saying they are not interested in the furniture at all.
Finally, I get a lucky break and the last one says they'll take it.

I say I will have a moving company bring it tomorrow morning.
Oh no, they say, they won't have space in the warehouse for another week and a half.

FFFFFUUUUUUUU---

My 60+ year old mother and I move all the furniture into the garage by ourselves. My brother arrives just in time to see us finish. We load all three cars to the brim with little stuff, and caravan to Goodwill.

But there are still several huge containers of trash and recycling, and my dad's utility company is a bunch of Nazis who won't take anything more than your one allotted bin. So I realize I will have to go back to the house later tonight and load it all up in the minivan, because our garbagemen are nice and will take anything you put out.

But the good news:

1.) We will still be officially out of the house on the 31st, which was the contractual requirement, regardless of what my idiot dad told her. So no payment penalties.
2.) Mr. Clod offered to do the final trash run for me, since I had to do all the other work for this garage sale fiasco, and all he had to do was stay home and play videogames with the kids. So that was nice.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote